Okay! Will try to blab on less today and just share some stats. I started tracking on Monday. I’ll try to list the approximate times I ate, too, if I can remember.
Reminder- P= protein, F= fat, C= carbohydrates.
My daily “goals” were: P 127, F 50, C 134, ~1,500 calories
119P/ 52F/ 131 C
Fiber 22 g
Breakfast– 8 a.m.
2 large hardboiled eggs
1 packet Simply Nature Oats and Flax Oatmeal
2.1 oz strawberries
P16/ 12 F/ 29 C/ 292 calories
Snack-11 a.m. (pre-workout)
2 Quaker plain rice cakes
1 Tbs. Crunchy PB
P6/ 9F/ 17 C/ 170 calories
Lunch ~1:30 p.m. (post-lunch hour workout) – Chicken Tinga salad
1 cup chicken tinga
1 cup romaine lettuce
1/8 C. chipotle salsa
1 clementine orange
P27/ 12 F/ 21 C/ 294 calories
Tea- late afternoon- Collagen Tea
1 Green Tea with Mint tea bag
1 scoop 1Up Nutrition Collagen Peptides mixed in (can’t taste it!)
P18/ 0 F/ 0 F/ 72 calories
Late afternoon snack– 4 pm?
1 can (4 oz.) Chunk Light Tuna in Water
80 grams Honeycrisp apple (chopped and mixed with tuna + salt/pepper)
P22/ 1 F/ 15 C/ 157 calories
Dinner– 7 pm
1.5 cups homemade cream of zucchini soup
4 oz Jennie-O 93/7 Ground turkey
3/4 cup frozen mixed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots
1/3 cup white rice
*turkey/veggies/rice all mixed together, like a one pan meal
P 30/ F 18/ C 49/ 492 calories
128 P/ 54 F/ 128 C
Fiber 25 g
Breakfast- 8 a.m.
1 hardboiled egg
1/2 red grapefruit
1/2 tsp white sugar
7 P/ 5 F/ 15 C/ 128 calories
Mid-morning snack- 10:30?
6 Triscuit crackers
1 Sargento Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar stick chopped up
Raw jalapeno slices on top of cheese/crackers
6 Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ almonds
10P/ 11 F/ 22 C/ 219 calories
Lunch- post-workout (12:30?)- leftovers
3 oz ground turkey
1 oz. poached chicken
3/4 cup mixed veggies
1/3 C. white rice
1 cup cream of zucchini soup leftovers
31P/ 13F/ 44C/ 426 calories
Afternoon snacks/tea- (grazed on this all a bit during the afternoon)
4 oz. shredded boneless/ skinless chicken (poached)
80 gram apple
(Mix chicken/apple together, add some salt. Odd but tasty mix.)
Collagen Tea (1 scoop Collagen + Green/Mint Tea)
2 Hershey Dark Chocolate Kisses
53 P/ 7 F/ 21 C/ 353 calories
Dinner- 7:30 pm- steak tacos
thin cut Mexican flank steak 3 oz.
1/3 cup Refried Beans (regular)
1 corn tortilla
1/2 tbsp corn oil for cooking
1/3 C. chipotle salsa
1/2 raw jalapeno
*Ate 1 as a taco, rest of the meat w/o tortilla
27 P/ 18 F/ 26 C/ 348 calories
133 P/ 53 F/ 133 C
Fiber 26 g
Breakfast #1– quick bite at 07:30 a.m. while kids ate
1 slice Healthy Life bread
2 tsp Peter Pan peanut butter, crunchy
5 P/ 5 F/ 9 C/ 102 calories
Breakfast #2- 8:30 a.m. – Egg Scramble
1 whole egg, scrambled
2 Bob Evans liquid egg whites (6 tbsp), scrambled
1 slice Thin Pepper Jack, Crystal Farms melted into eggs
1/2 C. arugula mixed in eggs
19 P/ 8 F/ 0 C/ 163 calories
Mid-morning soda break
(*This is my one and only true vice. Regular soda. I love it. I have a (very long) history of drinking WAYYYYYYY too much of it. I’ve drastically reduced my consumption lately, b/c duh- it’s horrible for you, but I felt like fitting one in today. Baby steps.)
1 can Dr. Pepper
0 P/ 0 F/ 40 C/ 150 calories
Post-workout snack– 1:00 p.m. (was not super hungry at this time for my planned “lunch”)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
2 oz. poached chicken
3 oz. sugar snap peas
15 P/ 3 F/ 11 C/ 117 calories
Late lunch– ~3:00 p.m. Chicken Salad
3 oz. Grilled and Ready Oven Roasted Chicken Diced
1.3 oz leftover steak
1 cup arugula
1.5 cup romaine
2 tsp parmesan cheese
80 gram apple
1/3 c chipotle salsa
3 mini bell peppers on the side
32 P/ 7 F/ 26 C/ 288 calories
Tea + sweet treat- 4:25 p.m. while working
1 scoop 1Up Collagen Peptides
Bigelow Green Tea with Mint teabag
2 Hershey’s dark chocolate kisses
19 P/ 3 F/ 6 C/ 112 calories
Dinner-WAY later than usual due to driving to a late swim practice and just not feeling hungry before it: 8:45 p.m. This timing was so not ideal!! The entire night was very goofy schedule-wise for me. I felt too full going to bed, but slept totally fine. This was also too much protein for one meal. Listing this all though for full transparency. Amazingly, my weight was markedly down at 5:45 the next morning, even with these tacos on board. 😉 But if I hadn’t been specifically trying to hit my macros, I would not have eaten this much….I also ate a huge salad for lunch, also very late in the day. Just a weird day!!!
2 corn tortillas
1/2 medium avocado
1/3 c refried beans
3.5 oz thin cut Mexican flank steak
1 stick Sargento reduced fat cheddar cheese
57 P/ 26 F/ 41 C/ 544 calories
I started taking more pics of my meals on Wednesday:
I think I’m going to wrap it there for now. So this was Monday- Wednesday, above. I’ll share Thursday and Friday maybe tomorrow. Thursday was an interesting day, with a lot of really high volume foods (I actually felt too full much of the day) and an impromptu movie night out (i.e. movie theater snacks!). Stay tuned on that.
A few notes on meals:
- This is definitely more “red meat” than I would normally eat. It just so happens that Ivan stopped by the Mexican grocery store and picked up a bunch of fresh pulpa, which is a thin and very delicious cut of Mexican steak. It is on the expensive side and definitely not okay to waste!! So, I ate more of it than usual. Just FYI before anyone freaks out.
- I hadn’t tracked macros in many years, so I stumbled around a little getting my bearings with it again. I’m not claiming these are perfect or even 100% ideal meals for anyone. These are based on foods I had on hand, utilizing leftovers, with pretty minimal forethought. It’s one of those things that definitely gets easier as you do it more often. I did do a big grocery run Tuesday a.m. with macro tracking (high protein, lots of fruits/vegs) in mind.
- Also, a PRO TIP (which I’m bad about following myself)- tracking is a lot easier if you eat many similar foods or meals. You can save them in My Fitness Pal, which makes it a breeze to just copy then to the next day.
A few notes on weight:
- I have been weighing myself daily this week, just to monitor. (For reference, I “normally” weigh myself….basically never. Literally, I usually never weigh myself.) When I used to track macros in 2015-2016, I weighed myself once per week. However, I recently heard mention on a podcast the idea that weighing yourself daily, and then looking at the average for the week, actually can be much more accurate. It can also take the “pressure” (if you feel that way) off of the “weigh in day”. (Maybe you ate a lot of salt the day before, and your weight is UP (water weight) the one time you weigh yourself that week. But maybe it’s actually been down all the other days!! So with just one weigh in per week, it can be tricky to really have the full picture. Based on a single weight, you may feel like you aren’t making progress- but maybe you really are.)
- My weight has decreased every single day since I started this. By a lot. Again, full transparency here: On Monday I weighed 136 lbs. Tuesday 134.6. Wednesday 134. Thursday 132.8. Friday 131.4. This is a huge drop in 4 days. I am watching this VERY very closely. If it continues in this drastic downward direction in a couple more days, I will be increasing my calories!!!!
- My “starting calories” (1,500 goal) was kind of a guess, since I wasn’t tracking my maintenance level before. It’s very possible that due to my previous dietary habits of less filling/ but much higher calorie dense foods, I was actually consuming many more calories than I actually realized. (This is VERY COMMON. Most people eat way more calories than they “think” they do.) Therefore, 1,500 may be (is probably) too big of a deficit for me. I am now thinking I might have been mostly maintaining my weight on well over 2,000 calories per day. Maybe even like 2,500+ calories? I don’t really know.
- A good starting point normally for a calorie deficit= cutting out about 10-20% from your maintenance calories. (So if you maintain on 2,000 calories, you’d cut 200-400 calories per day. So in this example, your goal calories would be between 1,600-1,800). I was thinking I’d been eating more like 1700-1800, but these numbers are showing me I was probably eating a LOT more. Science don’t lie, folks. This is why it is helpful to even track for a while if you don’t want to lose weight, just to figure out where your maintenance calories are.
- To be very clear, I do not and will never condone over-restricting or over-dieting or anything of the sort. Fat loss SHOULD BE GRADUAL. So, like I said, I’m watching this very carefully. As you can see above, I am eating a lot, though!! Actually, I feel like I am eating way more than I normally do. I am full all the time. It is rather mind boggling in some ways….
- Final note: My “starting weight” of 136 lbs was taken on Monday morning. After eating Chick Fil A/ fries/ Coke on Saturday for lunch and pork nachos/ beer on Saturday night, plus a turtle sundae with Asher on Sunday 😳. It is highly likely that that weight was a bit falsely elevated/ water weight. I did weigh myself after our trip last month and I think I was around 133.5. Like I said, I don’t really weigh myself often, but I think my weight has been in the 134-135 range of late, with my “preferred”/ “feel better” weight being around 130 or so. For reference, I’m 5′ 8″ with a pretty naturally slight build.
- Final final note: I’m also drinking WAY more water than usual = flushing out excess water weight. And, I’m eating a lot more fiber than usual. Probably easily double my normal fiber intake. And, probably triple my normal quantities of fruits/ veggies. So, a bit of a cleansing effect is probably happening right now, leading to a quicker than normal weight drop.
Workouts so far this week:
Monday- Leg Day #1 (gym) + light walk on treadmill
Tuesday- Shoulders/ Triceps (gym) + walk to/from gym
Wednesday- Fight Club #77 from Morning Meltdown (Beachbody)- this is a 25 minute home workout/ martial arts style cardio + walk outside
Thursday- Leg Day #2 (gym) + walk to/ from gym
I am grateful for a fun impromptu movie night last night. Hadn’t been to the movie in quite a while. We saw The Lost City with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. About what you’d expect- totally unrealistic, kinda dumb, but cute/ funny with lots of shirtless scenes for Channing. 😂 (not complaining. That man definitely counts macros. Wowza. hahahaha.)