Hello! I never got around to hopping on the blog during the last few days, so here’s an update on some recent events in my life:
- Ethan got BRACES! Woo!! Such mixed feelings, because of course it’s kind of an adolescent rite of passage. It means he’s growing up! It also means his smile will look really different now, for the next ??? years.
So far, so good, I guess. He has this awful expander in the roof of his mouth (something I never had), and it seems extremely uncomfortable. It also has this little key that I need to insert and turn once per day. Ew. It has been difficult for him to really enunciate, and he now talks like he has a speech impediment. 😦 They claim he will adjust to it with time. I think he’s getting a bit better now that it’s been a few days, but he still sounds like he has marbles in his mouth. Eating has been challenging, too, as food gets stuck up there, and his teeth were sore over the weekend from the braces themselves. Poor guy!! I hope it all settles down soon.
(If you’ve never seen an expander, here’s a zoomed in view):
- Also Thursday, Asher had his first 7th grade cross country meet of the season! (He missed the 1st one due to soccer last week.) It was a gorgeous evening on a golf course. He seems a bit more “meh” about cross country than he did last year, I think because he has suddenly rejoined soccer and is just all excited about that right now. But because all of his school friends are doing XC, he wanted to do it, too, even though he has stated he really doesn’t love long distance running that much. I guess we’ll see how it goes! He seems to be having fun at least. School sports are just a great experience overall.
- I did not go for a “Finish Eliza’s Run” run, but I did go for a walk around 6:45 a.m. I’m glad I did, too, because our weekend weather was terrible after this.
- Friday night Asher went to his 1st swim practice of the season (first time back in the pool since end of July!). That is correct, he is currently doing cross country, soccer and swim team, all at the same time. What the what?! Not sure how that happened, but it is happening. Lord help me.
- Both Ivan and Ethan had to work. Ivan just went in for a little bit in the morning, but Ethan worked a full 7-3 shift at Mickey D’s.
- I spent some time trying to get the boys’ “desk situation” resolved. Long story short, Asher had a desk, Ethan didn’t. Asher decided that the desk he got a few years ago “didn’t have enough storage” for his art/ drawing hobby. (He wanted one with more drawer space.) Ethan mostly just needs a place to work on homework on his laptop, and he does not draw. (Ethan also has less, um, hoarder-like tendencies than Asher, lol. Seriously, Asher is one who always has SO MUCH STUFF. Ethan is much more minimalistic.) So, I ended up buying a new, bigger desk for Asher, and moving Asher’s old desk to Ethan’s room. I searched and searched online (and several in person stores) for a desk for Asher that fit the limited size parameters we had to work with, but I had the darndest time. Either they were too big, had terrible reviews, didn’t have enough space, too expensive for what I wanted to spend, etc. Finally I ran across one from Target of all places (that I must have missed, initially) that is actually perfect. And for only $91!!! I ordered it and a new chair, Ivan picked it up and it was all assembled by Saturday evening. Yay! Glad to cross this off the list.
Ethan’s room, with his new-to-him desk:
Asher’s new $91 desk:
- No pictures of this, but Saturday evening my parents arrived after spending a month road tripping in Arizona/ the U.S. Southwest on their 50th anniversary trip. It is also my mom’s birthday today (happy birthday mom!!!), so we went out for dinner at a cool “public house” place to catch up.
- It rained ALL day. Literally, all day. I woke up early, but felt soooo lazy with the cold and rain. I laid in bed and watched the Ironman Wisconsin live stream on my phone for a really long time. I became obsessed with this, because I absolutely could not imagine doing an Ironman in 50 degree, steady rain for 12+ hours. (Actually can’t really imagine doing an Ironman, period, but when I watched them wade into Lake Monona to start the 2.4 mile swim, in the rain, when it was literally still kinda DARK outside, my mind was basically blown.)
- I did a quick grocery shop to pick up ingredients for homemade nachos. The Green Bay Packers had their first regular season game Sunday afternoon, so we planned on nachos + the game. The grocery store was insanely busy. Absolutely jam packed. UGH. Wisconsinites and their Packers, sigh. Everyone was probably trying to shop before the game, ha.
- Asher also had his first real soccer league game of the season (last week was a tournament). It was, as I mentioned, cold and RAINY. They played on….
Ivan and I opted to stand and huddle in the little entrance to the bathrooms, instead of sitting out on the wet, metal bleachers. At least it was covered!! It was still freezing. Asher got absolutely soaked to the bone, but at least he scored the only goal of the game (they won, 1-0), so he was thrilled about that.
- And finally, to end the night, we used the fireplace for the first time of the fall!!! I love fireplace season soooo much. After the soccer game, I was FREEZING, so I did my usual and sat as close to the fireplace as humanly possible without starting myself on fire. hehe. We watched the very sad, very pathetic Packer’s opener. No more comments on that, bc it was bad.
And now, back to work for a new week. I’m in the midst of more training, so, better go. Break time’s over. Have a great week, all!
I am grateful for my fireplace. I say this one a lot. But I really, really, REALLY, really love my gas fireplaces.