I wasn’t originally planning to do a 21 for 2021 list this year. I tried it for 2020, mostly because the name seemed catchy. 🙂
However, I found myself struggling to make traditional Yearly goals. I’ve really leaned into the Monthly goal process over the last year or two and find I like the flexibility of being able to shift my focus from month to month if I desire. Making general goals that span the entire year also feels a little overwhelming sometimes.
I had been enjoying plucking items to do each month from my 20 in 2020 list (even though I did NOT complete my list), and when I read Sam’s post yesterday, I realized why! She summed it up perfectly- it’s like a scavenger-hunt! Many items are smaller or can be done randomly from time to time, which makes it feel more do-able. So, I decided I would make a 21 for 2021 list after all, and then write my usual monthly goals using that as a guide.
21 for 2021:
- Deal with photo storage and get all digital photos backed up/ organized.
- Finish cleaning out the storage room + basement closet.
- Clean out underwear/sock drawer and REPLACE a bunch.
- Finish remaining kitchen tasks: glass insert for cabinet, blinds, etc.
- Research/ learn about new trees, deal with dead Ash tree…plant new trees. Re-think some other landscaping areas.
- Front door paint repair + master bath ceiling repair
- Make Family 2021 Book List from unread books at home (esp. nonfiction pile) and read them!
- Read at least 1 book per month with the boys.
- Exercise w/ the boys 1x/ week.
- Have kids help cook a decent meal at least 1x/ month.
- Make a new recipe at least 1x/ month.
- Have a weekend or at least night away w/ just Ivan!
- Read 30 books! Make a 2021 Reading list from my Want to Read list + try out the Transplant Dept. Virtual Book Club! Aim for 21 minutes of reading/ day (per Gretchen Rubin’s #Read21in21 challenge).
- Decrease social media use to <10 mins/ day. SCHEDULE a 5 min. check in a.m. and another in the p.m. and that’s it! (Some exceptions occasionally if I want to post pictures, etc.- doesn’t have to be super strict, but general guideline!)
- Get back to GYM 3x/week when kids go back to school.
- Try Intermittent Fasting for 4 weeks!
- Get a facial and a massage, if able, eventually…
- Learn about and improve my makeup selection.
- Try making tamales & pozole! (rollover from 2020…)
- Find a nice new purse + try a pair of Lululemon leggings! (still have never tried them.)
- Use the Forest app consistently for deep work blocks + record daily focus totals.
Some of these are fairly random, especially the household items. But I like listing some things like that here, so that I really see them and think about them more often. Otherwise, I may never do them….ha.
My monthly goals are a combination of a few of these items (i.e. Get my 2008-2009 photos backed up to the external hard drive (baby steps!), finish IF book and try it, etc. ) and some other random goals more relevant to only the current month (i.e. Get our 2021 Budget spreadsheet set up, make a home de-cluttering list for the next few months to work on).
I got to bust out my new 2021 Daily Calendar yesterday, too! AND this morning I got to journal in my new notebook! Very fun.
Yesterday’s quote was on point! Never underestimate the power and ultimate outcome of SMALL, DAILY CHANGES compounded over time. In either direction. 😉
I also am adding one tiny new step to my morning routine- reading the passage from this book that my Mom got me for Christmas.
Each day has an inspirational quote and a little blurb- takes two seconds to read and is just right!! Loved today’s quote:
Have a great day! Yay, it’s only Saturday! 😉
P.S. Am I the only one who thinks the New Year should officially start on January 2nd, not the 1st?? Who on Earth thinks the day after we all stay up until after midnight and feel all tired and groggy is the best day to start crushing our new goals???! I hereby declare January 2nd as the official start to the new year. 😁
I am grateful for a relaxing New Year’s Day and a snuggly moment with all 4 of us curled up together on the floor in front of the fireplace watching Wonder Woman 1984!
3 thoughts on “21 for 2021”
Love your 21 in ‘21 list! I did it in 2019 but haven’t since then. I would like to do it again as it is fun to come up with things to do. I just haven’t been in the mindset to do that! Some of those items lend themselves well to monthly goals/tasks and some are easier to cross off the list which is a nice combo. I had try a new recipe each month on my 19 list and thought that was really fun!
Seeing everyone’s fresh planners makes me kind of wish I had one but I would be writing so little in mine so I know sticking with the bullet journal is the right choice for this year!
Ooh, I’ve always wanted to try the Forest app. I’ve heard good things. I like the idea of January 2nd being the first day of the New Year, and January 1st can be a transitional and in-between day! I’m curious to see how the 21 for 21 goes for you, and I’m hoping to use blogging to feel somewhat accountable to it.
i got the same book! can’t wait to get it and read one passage per day! I might order your daily quotes too.. they look so fun!
I will do a time tracking in January, will be interesting to see how much deep work I get.
happy new year