First, I’m sure you’re dying to know the outcome of my very scientific poll.
Here are the results so far, from my overwhelmingly large sample size. 🤣
I find it pretty interesting that “podcasts or audiobooks” was the clear winner, and surprisingly to me- “listen to nothing” was the runner up! Not sure what it says about the demographic reading this blog, or if we’re all just old and stuffy now, but “listen to music” came in a clear last place. I feel like younger people might always listen to music? At least based on what I can overhear from other peoples’ headphones in the gym when I’m sitting in silence. Ha! But obviously, that is a total assumption and not based on anything factual. I suppose I also had a few combo options in there which also encompass music.
Poll is still open! If you haven’t answered, please feel free! It’s totally anonymous.
Other Random Stuff:
* I went on a great fall walk Wednesday morning. I had driven the boys to school instead of bus (due to morning swim practice/ Asher needing some extra time to shower). I was planning to drive home, then do a quick walking loop around the neighborhood before starting work. Well, Laura Vanderkam’s weekly rule of “one little adventure, one big adventure” popped into my mind. I admit I’m not great about planning little local adventures that don’t include soccer games and swim meets. I realized I could just as easily stop off at a local nature preserve that was literally on my way home and about 2 minutes away, and walk there instead.
~20 minute walk and little adventure= ✅
* Speaking of LVK and her new book- she published this little scorecard on instagram yesterday outlining her weekly “rules”. Love this!
* I found out that a $100 gift certificate for the theater that we received in early 2020 IS in fact still good and able to be used! (I mean, I figured, with pandemic and all, but it technically said “use within 1 year” on it… ). I have been meaning to call to verify, and finally did yesterday. There are several good upcoming Broadway shows coming to town that I want to see!!
* The weeks have been flying by lately. It is freaking me out a little. Like, it’s Sunday night, getting ready for new week….and then I blink, and boom. It’s Friday. Not sure what is going on…..
* I had a fun little evening with Asher last night. He had a cross country meet (FINALLY was able to run, after all of his feet issues). This was only his second meet of the season, and their last meet will be this upcoming Monday. 😦 Short season for him. But, at least he can do these last two meets. He said he felt pretty good and finished in a respectable time, considering he has barely practiced lately and is not really in peak “running shape”.
After, we stopped to get him a pizza at a build-your-own pizza place. There was a benefit night for his swim team.
From there, we swung by the nearby new high school to check out the HS girls’ last home swim meet of the season. We’d never been to a high school meet before, and we know tons of families on the team from the club swim team. And, we wanted to check out the brand new pool!
It was a meet between two rather small teams, so the ambience was drastically different from a club team meet- those are usually PACKED and LOUD and just crazy. This felt so weird! The parents assured me that this just happened to be an extra small meet this week. Anyway, still was interesting and nice to stop by.
* I am LOVING the show Younger! Like I said, it took me a couple episodes to get into it/ felt like a slow start, but now I am just so smitten with it. It’s so cute, so fun, so funny, I love the characters…. really, really enjoying it! Ivan likes it a lot too. Love crawling in bed and night and turning an episode on. 🙂
* I had to do an annual HIPPA (medical privacy info stuff) training yesterday. I was supposed to review 65 slides of information and then take a quiz. I read about 2 slides and my eyes were glazing over, so I decided to just skip ahead to the quiz. I normally never do things like this, because I am a Rule Follower. But it said we could re-take the quiz as needed, so I figured no harm done. I passed on the first try! And then promptly closed those slides. Shhh. (I’ve been a nurse since 2006. I think I’ve got the HIPPA stuff down pretty well by now.)
* Last thing- just a funny comment from Ethan. We were watching the Today show the other morning, and they were discussing the potential Tom Brady/ Gisele Bundchen divorce during the news updates. At the end of the segment, the reporter looked solemnly into the camera and said, “We will keep you all updated just as soon as we get any more information.” And Ethan turns to me and was like, “What?!!? Why is this NEWS! This is not even any of our business!!! Isn’t this, like, their personal life??” Hahaha. Yes, yes it is. Totally agree. I am actually not sure why that is headline news or why all of America needs to be “updated” on someone’s divorce. lol.
Okay, that is enough random points for this Friday. Enjoy your weekend! Please think happy thoughts for me tomorrow that every one of the ~100 parents listed on the volunteer sign up actually shows up to work at the swim meet. 🙃
Quote of the Day:
“The three C’s in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change.”
I am grateful for some nice 1:1 time with Asher last night. 🙂