This is it- the last day of August. whoa. Not sure how we ended up here, but here we are. To me, this = the “last day of summer”, because the boys start SCHOOL tomorrow!! And, in my mind, September is a fall month, anyway.
This summer was….something. ha. It was good! But also, a lot. Some things didn’t feel so good. Somehow, I feel we were simultaneously too busy and not busy enough (regarding the kids’ schedules- I feel like they did a LOT of….nothing, despite what it might look like on paper. Some of this is age-related, I think. They are at a bit of a transition age where they are not interested in being stuck in day camps all day, every day, anymore.)
I also do not feel like we successfully mastered the “screen time/ life” balance over here. sigh. Not sure what else to say about that.
Flipping through my calendar/journal this morning, here’s what our summer looked like:
- Went to LaCrosse for a weekend as a family
- Asher went to swim camp
- I got a new boss
- Ethan started his first ever job! (working at a farm, for a few weeks)
- Asher went to his first ever concert (AJR, with a friend)
- We went to Chicago, twice. (Mexico vs Ecuador soccer game, then Club America soccer game)
- We lost our beloved Flint the Hamster. 😦
- The boys did a daily strength and conditioning class at the high school
- Asher swam a lot. He went to several meets around the region, including a weekend in Iowa with Ivan.
- Asher went to swim camp for a week.
- I finally had a Dermatology appointment and mostly fixed my skin issues!
- Ethan made a new club soccer team.
- We saw Top Gun: Maverick and loved it
- Ethan went to traditional summer camp for a week
- We spread mulch and planted flowers in the yard
- I bought some new clothes
- I booked our spring break trip for March 2023
- Went to a 4th of July party at a friend’s house
- Spent the holiday weekend with my parents
- Went to a baptism
- Ivan’s mom was here all month from Mexico
- We saw the new Elvis movie
- My mom came to stay for a few days
- Ethan suffered his first work injury. lol.
- Asher did a flexible online art class
- I saw the Backstreet Boys in concert, and connected with an old friend!
- Ethan turned 14
- Ivan and I went to San Diego for 4 days
- We unexpectedly lost Steel the Hamster. (sob)
- We got a new hamster! “Summer”. She’s doing well. 🙂
- I endured LOTS of changes at work. New boss, new staff, new duties, good amount of stress.
- Asher competed at WI 12&Under State swim meet for 3 days.
- Asher went up north with all his friends for a weekend!
- Then he went to camp for a week with one of his best buddies and had a blast.
- Saw the new Thor movie with Ivan and Ethan
- Finally bought a fire table!
- Drained and cleaned the hot tub.
- Ivan got braces.
- Ethan went to a daily soccer camp for a week
- My van door broke; got it fixed
- Travel is booked for June 2023 now too
- I walked outside a bunch this summer. Not daily, but a lot.
- I met a big deadline at work right before leaving for vacation
- We went to Mexico for 2 weeks, Aug. 9- 23.
- Spent a lot of time with family. We were in: Mexico City, Toluca, Tepotzlan, Malinalco, and Valle de Bravo.
- Ethan started ortho treatment, too.
- Went to a wedding.
- Did the whole “back from a big trip” thing and re-entered normal life successfully. ha.
- Filled out 8,246 forms between school papers, medical forms for sports, waivers, band registration and more.
- Cleaned out my email inbox that had over 1,000 messages in it.
- Asher re-joined club soccer after an almost 3 year hiatus!
- Ethan got hired for his first “real” job, at McDonald’s
- Attended several parent meetings for sports, etc.
- Missed school Open House night for the first time ever, due to a work event. sad. (The boys said they did not care at all if I was there or not; “it’s not a big deal”. Ok then! At least I wasn’t missed. This is also the first year that I have zero pictures of the boys at Open House….because Dad took them, and why would we need a picture of them standing by their locker? 😆 Ha.)
That’s a wrap. On to the next season….
Quote of the Day:
Look for something positive in each day, even if some days you have to look a little harder.
I am grateful for a surprisingly pleasant work event last night. (We toured the new Transplant Clinic that is opening next week at the hospital, as a team. Then, our new boss took us all out for dinner!) Believe it or not, this was my first time setting foot back in the hospital since FEBRUARY 2020!!! It was weird to be back. I mean, I used to be there every day, for well over 10 years.