Some random stuff today….
1. I got my covid booster yesterday! I finally rescheduled it after cancelling a couple weeks ago due to a headache that day. I’ve heard of so many people feeling like total garbage after getting the booster that I had a hard time finding a good day to schedule it…(for example, didn’t want to get it right before Asher’s birthday…or his party weekend… etc. just in case). I’m coming up on 24 hours at ~8:50 this morning, and so far, so good. I think I have a little headache, but that’s about it. Fingers crossed. (My co-worker also got it yesterday morning, and I just got a message that she is out sick today though, with fevers, chills, body aches.. yuck.)
2. St. Nick came yesterday. I have no idea if/where this tradition is practiced in other places, but it’s alive and well around here. (At least for some people, and according to my Facebook feed full of people posting stocking pics. 😆)
The excitement level was NOTHING like it used to be when they were little….but they mentioned it a bunch of times last week, so I know they were still looking forward to it. My sister sent a video of her kids literally squealing and bouncing off the walls in excitement over their stockings (6,4, and 2 years old) and it made me a little nostalgic. 🙂
The boys got chocolate advent calendars, popcorn bins/ snowball cotton candy, and then just an assortment of little treats- a Pez dispenser, Sour Patch kids, Andes candies, some Peeps, a envelope of hot chocolate, etc. For little “gifts” they each got some nice mechanical pencils and a pack of plain chapstick.
I was very surprised to find that St. Nick visited my office, too!!
A little Christmas hot beverage cup and a cute Christmas tree kitchen tongs were sitting on my desk. I was honestly so surprised!!! My money is on my MOM leaving them for the boys to put out for me last time she was here. 🙂 Or…..is St. Nick actually real??! 🤔
3. Ethan worked hard the past few days to record a piece on the piano for the school‘s virtual Christmas concert (prelude music). I was super proud of his perseverance. The piece he was learning (Angels from the Realms of Glory) probably needed another week or so before he really had it mastered, but the deadline was upon us. So, he had to have it “recording” ready.
After about 15 takes on Sunday night, he couldn’t seem to get it without at least a couple of minor mistakes. At first he got frustrated and said, “Ugh, just submit it like that! I can’t get it any better.” But then after school yesterday, he decided to try it one more time (deadline was last night). He put his Christmas sweater back on, sat down at the piano and nailed it! I think he just needed to STEP AWAY, sleep on it and then come back with a fresh perspective.
4. Asher got his 2nd covid vaccine on Sunday, too. He did fine overall, but did say he had a bad headache after school yesterday. He ended up skipping swim practice (his arm was pretty sore, too) and we played a round of Yahtzee by the Christmas tree after my volunteer meeting. It was our first time playing a game in quite a while! It was nice.
5. I liked this message from yesterday:
Interesting perspective! I think I sometimes tend to feel like “venting” or “talking out” stressors or complaints helps to get them off my chest or work through them. But maybe it just perpetuates them! Maybe going around and around, talking about the problem repeatedly, doesn’t actually find a solution…maybe it just makes it worse. Food for thought.
I am grateful for my little microwaveable heat up pack. I got the WORST kink in my upper back the other night which has been killing me! So I’ve been using this hot pack on it. It’s finally starting to get better.