I was reflecting yesterday (again, as this is a frequent topic of reflection since the pandemic began) on just how different our weekends are without soccer games, swim meets, practices, and the like. Since last weekend was Father’s Day and next weekend is 4th of July, I didn’t really feel like making big plans this weekend. The weather was gorgeous so lots of people went to lakes, hiking, day trips, etc. but I was in the mood for just enjoying our house and yard and sort of laying low, getting some stuff done and relaxing.
Anyway, at multiple points throughout the weekend I had the thought that in many ways, despite the lack of “excitement”, this was kind of my ideal weekend. Maybe I’m a dud, I don’t know. LOL!
Here are my personal “nice weekend ingredients”:
- Multiple parts- Family Time
- movie/pizza night on Friday night
- a family bike ride to McDonald’s on Saturday night for ice cream
- reading with the boys
- swam with Asher
- family lunch together on Sunday
- Good chunk- Productivity, aka “getting stuff done”
- Ivan cut the grass/ trimmed bushes/ edges
- I (and sort of the boys) weeded flower beds
- worked in garden
- updated end of month financial stuff
- cleaned up our room + some stuff in garage
- Ivan took boys to finally buy a new hamster cage for Steel so he is not living in a storage bin anymore!
- Small but dedicated amount- Alone time
- early morning Saturday writing/ reading outside alone
- post-swim on Sunday, more alone time on deck
- Stir in throughout weekend- Relaxation Time with spouse
- morning walk on Saturday alone with Ivan
- tea/coffee on deck both days
- TV show Sunday evening with Ivan
- ran errand together and had lunch together on Saturday
- Sprinkle in- Exercise
- Beachbody workout from home on Saturday, took a rest day Sunday due to a.m swim + lots of yard work!
- yard work/ swim/ bike ride/ walk also fit more exercise in from other categories
And there you have it! Without realizing it, I kind of created my ideal weekend recipe. If I have family time + productive time + alone time + time with Ivan + exercise, it feels like the perfect mix!
Too much of one or the other can make it feel unbalanced, or for example, if I JUST lie around and “relax” constantly, I end up feeling lazy. But if I mix in “getting some stuff done”, I feel productive and thus then content to also relax plenty!
The unfortunate reality though is that in normal, non-pandemic times, our weekends don’t look anything like this really. We do other, fun and probably more exciting things, but I’m realizing that these items listed above are what make me feel truly refreshed and replenished after the weekend is over.
Here are a few pictures from the above:
|Early morning outside Saturday|
|Biking for ice cream|
|Yard work break|
|The boys’ recipe would include plenty of hamster time!|
How was your weekend? What are the essentials in your personal recipe for a great weekend?
I am grateful for our deck. I have been spending more time on it this summer than probably ever before, and I’m grateful for it. I’m happy to have a place to enjoy time outdoors and I find it really comfortable to sit out on.