OOF I am BACK. Back in “normal blog voice”, no longer writing in “travel mode”. 😊
Re-emerging into regular life has been…fine. Considering our flight got in around 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday night, and we both had to work on Wednesday. 😂 (I know, I know, I know…we are gluttons for punishment. We do it to ourselves and accept the consequences.)
We chose that flight, because the late arrival sounded WAY better than a super early flight out of Mexico City. I loathe super early flights.
It wasn’t that bad, really. I didn’t start work until around 9 am, and slept in until I think at least 7:30. Expectations for the day were low. I mostly just sifted through emails and then spent the afternoon catching up on solo type work- no big collaborative meetings or anything requiring immense brain power.
It helps that the boys don’t start school until next week, so I’ve been able to mostly just ignore them these last couple days and let them sleep and video game and go to the park and just do whatever teenager-aged kids do after they’ve been away from home for two weeks.
A Brief “Bad” List
- We have no food in the house, still. Yeah, probably not gonna happen until tomorrow. We walked to the gas station for lunch on Wednesday and had pizza for dinner. Yesterday I made the boys minute rice and eggs…. lol. Went out for dinner.
- Looking ahead to school starting has me slightly terrified. Our activities schedule looks busy. Asher especially. Also- the bus pick up time has shifted about 30 minutes earlier this year. That’s a big change, and will require the boys to be up a lot earlier than before. (*also impedes on my morning time window…)
- We (Ivan and I only) have to go to a freaking WEDDING tonight. 😫 It’s for a good work friend of his. On a scale of 0-10, my desire to get dressed up and go to a wedding tonight for an acquaintance comes in at about a 0. Starts at 4 pm, too, which means I obviously need to cut out of work early to get ready, etc. Mehhhh. I soooo don’t feel like doing this!!
A Brief “Good” List
- I unpacked all my stuff already, and so did the boys.
- No plans this weekend, so Operation Re-Set My Life in everything else (e.g. groceries, bills, laundry) will have to mostly wait.
- Can I just say how amazing it is to live somewhere where you can go for a walk outside everyday? Without stepping in a pothole, a broken sidewalk, garbage or stray dog poop?
A Brief “Neutral” List
- Ethan started Ortho treatment yesterday!! So far just spacers got put in. His actual braces go on in 2 weeks. (Was really pleased with myself that I scheduled an appointment during my 2nd day back to work, too…. 😬 Couldn’t really be avoided though, unfortunately.)
- Asher decided to re-join soccer. After a 2+ year hiatus. He suddenly was begging me to play again…. ok, then… guess we’ll see how it goes. He is EXCITED though. Had his first practice last night.
- Currently pondering how my fall exercise schedule should look. A bunch of changes at work are kind of squashing a little of my normal daytime flexibility (more on camera meetings, training someone new, etc.). I keep mulling over how this should look, and, what about the gym?? Hmm. I don’t know yet.
- Read 4,000 Weeks cover to cover on vacation and I loved it! I didn’t bother to take a single note, just sat and read it, like a normal person probably reads books. lol. Maybe I’ll share some thoughts on it in another post. My main take away I think was a mindset shift re: just relaxing and letting some things go…. nothing is really THAT important, because, well, we’re all gonna die anyway, you know? 😆(weirdly, this can be a liberating thought.)
Saw this yesterday and liked it:
I am grateful to be home safe and sound. I always breathe a little sigh of relief after travels, just that we made it back to our cozy little home again. 🙂