The end of this week has felt overwhelming to me. Despite our heat wave, which has been a welcome change, and has made everything feel nice, bright and very “summery”.
But I don’t know, I just feel…overwhelmed. My brain dump list from last week has remained untouched, except I’ve thought of a bunch of things to add to it. Argh.
Our upcoming weekend looks super busy (again).
Tomorrow we have:
- 9:00- Asher swim practice
- 10:00- Ethan volleyball game
- 1:00- Asher volleyball game
- 2:00- Asher volleyball
- 3:30- Ethan soccer game (2 hours away)
Sunday our day goes:
- 11 am- E soccer
- 12:00- A volleyball
- 3:00- E volleyball
- 6:45- E tennis
Someone explain to me how/ when I’m ever supposed to do anything from my to-do list???
(I know, some could argue- “well, don’t sign your kids up for all that stuff!” But I swear, it’s not exactly as bad as it looks? I mean, yes, it kind of is, this weekend, but the VB season is actually really short. Next weekend it ends already. I didn’t initially realize though that the “super short season” actually means –> multiple games per weekend, to fit a normal season’s worth of games into fewer weeks.)
And the practices during the week DO keep them active, busy, engaged in things, not on screens, learning new skills…. overall I am very PRO kids being in activities, for a huge number of reasons. But still. I can admit that it can be a lot.
This is also the busy end-of-school season. We have an end of year school band concert on Monday night. The boys are going to a Brewers game next Wednesday with school. We have a friend’s graduation party to attend next weekend. Etc.
I am just feeling very stretched thin. And although I am generally also very “pro” being a working mom, and I like to work, I’m having frequent, random, semi-panicky thoughts like, “How on earth am I expected to deal with all of this stuff with the kids, the house, our life AND work full time?! This feels impossible.”
(*And I have a super flexible job, which makes everything easier! No commute, etc… Thank God for that, at least.)
Ivan can help with some of it, but he’s not home much either (works in office, gone 8-6 at least every day). On the weekends, we are often “dividing and conquering” the kids’ stuff, splitting up and going in opposite directions. AND he’s hurt his back recently playing soccer (is currenting undergoing physical therapy), which means he actually physically can’t do some of the heavier yard work/household stuff, at the moment….
Every time I write a crabby-pants post, I feel a little guilty/ whiny, so, in an effort to re-frame, here’s a few good things, though:
- Hot weather= feels so good!!
- The boys have no school today! And they both slept over at friend’s houses last night, which they were super happy about. (I was excited for a kid-free evening, until I fell asleep on the couch. ha.)
- The birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc are all out in full force, and I LOVE watching them and listening to them. 🙂
- I’m almost 3 full weeks into my “back to gym” plan, and I’m at 100% completion! (with my 4x/ week strength workouts). THIS MAKES ME HAPPY!!!! No matter how busy I am, exercise is basically my hill to die on. I will not sacrifice this- it’s too important to how I feel. Physically, but more so, mentally.
- Asher and I got ice cream from the drive thru after school. This was really yummy, but it turned into a huge mess!!! LOL!! Something was off with the temp of the McDonald’s soft serve, I think! It was the drippiest ice cream I’ve ever had. Or maybe it was just our very hot, humid weather. I don’t know. I’m lucky I didn’t crash my van trying drive while frantically licking the dripping vanilla ice cream. 😂
- I walked the boys to the bus several times this week. I LOVE summer morning walks, especially with the boys. All the trees are flowering in the neighborhood, too- they are gorgeous!!
I am grateful for a new recurring monthly meeting being added to my schedule on Fridays, from 3:30- 4:30. !!! What the heck. No one wants a recurring meeting on late Friday afternoons. Okay, so I’m not grateful for that, but I’m grateful at least that I can attend virtually, from home?? Trying to look on the bright side. 🙂