I was listening to a short Before Breakfast episode this morning while I put my contact lenses in, and Laura mentioned the idea of doing a brief review of your previous week on Monday mornings, to reflect on what went well and what didn’t the week before.
Since I keep my little daily journal tracking pages, this is quite easy for me to do. (If I didn’t, I’m pretty sure I would barely remember any details of what I did! Not joking. 😬)
This past week I generally had the feeling, in many different moments, that the week was “nice”. Something felt “good” about the week, overall. Did I achieve the ever-sought after “Balance”, maybe???
Upon some review, I think that what it was was some balance, across my “important to me” categories. (Meaning, I didn’t have a huge tilt in one category or another- most areas of my life got pretty equal attention, and I guess that felt good!).
Here’s what I came up with:
1. Time Alone/ Quality Time for Myself
- library time to read (T)
- solo walks + podcast (T/R)
- went out for tea alone during A’s swim practice
- read in the car during lesson (R)
- had a quiet afternoon/ watched Packer game mostly alone (Asher was in and out) while E/I at soccer (Sun.)
2. Quality Time with Husband
- He worked from home both W/R this week (virtual conference) and we got Chipotle take out and had lunch together at home alone (W).
- watched the movie The Glass Castle while A was at a sleepover/ E playing w/ friends (Friday night).
- hot tub alone with Ivan (S morning)
- went out for lunch/ ran a bunch of errands together, just the two of us. (S)
3. Quality Time with Kids (1:1 time)
- walked them home from the bus/ talked with them
- went to a benefit night for Asher’s swim team (alone) with him at Rocky Rococo’s for pizza, then out to Goodwill and the hardware store to get stuff for his Halloween costume! (R) *This was a really fun evening!!
- went to the corn maze/ pumpkin patch with the boys (F) on no school day
- bonfire with Ethan/ hot chocolate/ read together outside (F)
- went for a walk with Ethan on Sat. afternoon- a gorgeous fall late afternoon
- watched a bunch of Skate America figure skating competition on TV w/ Asher while E/I at soccer (Sun.)
4. Family Time (all of us together)
*This is probably the lightest category, but we weren’t often all home at the same time…
- Watched The Babysitter’s Club x2 episodes all together on before bed
- Had a family movie night and watched the 2016 Ghostbuster’s movie (with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and Kate McKinnon- this was so funny!!! We had never seen this version. We liked it! Those actors are, obviously, hilarious.) (Sun.)
- Gym x3! (= met my goal!). M= shoulders/tris, W= legs, Sat= back/biceps
- Morning Meltdown BB workouts x3. T= cardio meltdown, Th= Upper Body, Sun= Core Inferno
- Walks x4 (2 solo, 2 w/kids)
6. Life Admin/ Productivity/ “Getting Stuff Done”
- hot tub maintenance & ordered new filters/ chemicals
- went to an eye exam
- made several meals (butternut squash soup, ground beef/potato/salsa mix, spaghetti/garlic bread, veggie tacos)
- ordered new piano books for Ethan
- oversaw kids chores/ bathroom cleaning
- DROVE people many places
- typed up a trip itinerary for our Vermont/ New Hampshire/ Maine trip for a couple people who asked for it, with details of what we did, where we stayed, etc. (Anyone else want it?? LMK and I can email you!)
- ran errands (see above…Halloween stuff, also household errands on Saturday)
- cleaned a sticky residue off of our fireplace hearth!! (deserves a spot here, bc it took forever!)
- did a massive email clean out! (much needed)
- some misc. yard stuff while Ivan power washed our siding
- got another month of my photo project complete
*Putting this last, because it kind of just “is what it is”….I worked a typical workday everyday, except for a partial day on Friday. But I actually made those hours up on Sunday afternoon/evening! So I didn’t have to use vacation time.
Reflecting on this, I think it looks pretty good! Obviously #6 looks a bit heavy on paper, but I think that’s to be expected when you are raising a family and running a life together. I think there was a nice mix overall.
I feel that sometimes the 1:1 or “Quality Kid Time” category can get light many weeks, especially as the kids get older, and I was happy that this week we definitely had some very CLEARLY delineated quality time together (i.e. not just a quick drive to soccer practice).
Do you ever do weekly reviews?? This really is an interesting exercise! I think it is helpful because it’s easy to “feel” in the moment like, “OMG I never have time for anything.” Or, “Ugh, my week was so crazy busy, waaaahhh.” But listing it out like this helps to see that I did a LOT of fun stuff, too. In fact, this week probably tipped more to the “fun” side of the scale than the “not as fun” side.
I am grateful for family movie nights.