A long time ago, my husband said something along the lines of, “I think happiness is a myth. No one is really happy “all the time.” So much of life is unpleasant. I think happiness is really just brief moments sprinkled in among all the rest.”
This was years ago now, and I don’t even remember why we were talking about this, honestly.
However, despite his somewhat ‘negative Nancy’ outlook, I don’t think he was totally wrong. As I have personally grown in this area, I would probably beg to differ, today, but I think I know what he meant. Sitting in traffic, changing diapers, stress at work, paying bills….it’s not really all that great necessarily. (So much depends on your outlook, but still. Life’s just not all puppies and rainbows 24/7.)
Yesterday morning I heard something that reminded me of his comment, and I decided to pay attention to the random, minor, happy moments in my day that made me pause and say, “Ahhh. Yes. This is nice.” 😊 You totally know what I’m talking about, right??
Here’s what I found:
- Sitting down at my desk in the early, dark morning, house quiet, everyone asleep, a steaming cup of tea + me and my computer, ready to write = Ahhhh.
- Taking a shower over my lunch break, with no kids around or anyone to knock on the door/ interrupt (and particularly, the moment you get in and the hot water runs over your hair and face for the first time)= Ahhhh.
- Rubbing my new exfoliating polish into my skin after washing my face (I am OBSESSED with this stuff. It smells and feels amazing- like what I imagine going to a spa would feel like, if I ever went to spas (but I don’t))= Ahhhh.
- The moment in the evening when we are all finally settled “in” for the night- we have nowhere else to go, the blinds are closed, the garage door is down and the day’s work is done= Ahhhh.
- The after school recap: listening to Asher excitedly tell me all about the new book he chose at school (I’m talking a full play by play…) + checking out Ethan’s 100% score on his “Greek Mythology” test= Ahhhh. (Side note: I didn’t even know E had a test in that subject this week…. see yesterday’s post for more on this topic, but when I said, “What mythology test?!”, he replied that he didn’t tell me about it because he is a “pro” at Greek Mythology and knew I would make him study when he didn’t need to. 🙄 I rest my case… )
- EVERY NIGHT when we crawl into bed around 9:30 pm to watch an episode of our show- that moment when we click the lamps off, I prop up my 3 pillows and slide under the blankets onto the cool sheets, ready to escape into a great drama for the next ~40 minutes =Triple Ahhh!! This is like my favorite moment ever. 🙂
It’s funny how these moments really are the “little things” in life! Nothing on this list costs much money or is extravagant, but I honestly felt that content “ahhhh” sensation in every one of these instances yesterday. 🙂
This caption is in our basement rec room. It was hand stenciled on the wall by the previous owner, just outside the guest room. I LOVE IT. I will never paint over this as long as I own the house! It’s amazing, and true.
I would be delighted to hear about any of your “ahhhh” moments if you’d be willing to share a couple!
I am grateful to the patient whose chart I opened up yesterday afternoon. Every patient has a little picture in their chart- one of those DMV style headshots that are just NEVER flattering. Most people look frankly quite terrible in them. But not this guy. He posed for his doctor’s office picture with a huge grin on his face and two big thumbs up. It seriously cracked me up!! I’m grateful for his humor, which made me laugh. 🙂