It’s here! Today is the first day of school, 2021. This is earlier than usual for our kids, due to some construction being done in the district next summer that requires them to end earlier this upcoming spring. So, back to school they go.
Obviously, we just got back from vacation, too, so things feel like a bit of a blur. I knew this would happen when I planned the vacation though, so it kind of just is what it is. It’s fine.
Monday morning, (so right after we got home), they had picture day at school. I took advantage of being there with them to snap a picture of them outside their school.
Monday night was the open house/ back to school night, where you take in all the school supplies and greet the teacher, etc.
I feel very ready to get back to more of a sense of routine, predictable life. This summer was CRAZY feeling to me. I think it was a combination of just actual normal life craziness and being legitimately busy and struggling to re-emerge and re-acclimate to “normal life” again after 2020.
Currently, I can’t say I feel 100% prepared for back to school, but we are doing okay.
(Although I keep having this image pop into my mind: I’m trying to get on one of those inner tubes to go down a water slide, but before I’m all the way on and seated, the water starts pulling the tube forward…and I’m like scrambling to get on, with one foot in the water, one foot in the tube, about to kind of slip awkwardly and plop onto my butt halfway in the tube as it starts going down the slide, ready or not. Anyone else know what I’m talking about??? This might be me, heading into the school year.)
List of small wins from this week, though:
- Got GROCERIES last night!
- I had pre-ordered school supplies, so we were all set there.
- Unpacking is basically all done.
- The kids deep cleaned their rooms and unpacked the rest of their stuff
- Lunches are ordered and the kids seem very on board with almost ALL the hot lunch offerings for the next ~4 weeks, so that’s cool. Not dealing with packing lunches is a plus around here.
- I found some little baskets for them to organize stuff in their lockers, and had to order some locker shelves from a different store nearby (sold out many places! imagine that.) I’ll run and pick them up today and hope they can survive one day without shelving in their lockers. (haha. I’m kidding. I don’t think they even particularly care if they have them, but I know it will be very helpful.)
Random side note….but CHECK OUT THIS SKY!! I took this when I came out of the grocery store around 7:30 p.m. last night. We had a storm roll through before, and I guess it set the sky on fire.
Daily Gratitude: I am grateful that they are GOING back to school, in person! After the year(s) we’ve had, I no longer take this for granted. Also, it’s my big sissy’s 40th birthday today!! I am forever grateful for having her in my life, even its from “across the pond”. Happy birthday!! 😘