Exciting news- I think I found a new hair stylist! 😂
Quick long story short: I used to get my hair done by this one girl at a big salon here in town. I liked her, although it always seemed SO expensive (cut/ highlights). Fast forward- she had a baby, then another baby. Her schedule became impossible, could never get in with her, etc. So I bounced around to a couple other stylists at the same salon. The new girl I was seeing was okay, mostly, but again- CRAZY expensive, and too many times I left feeling unsatisfied, or something just wasn’t always quite right. Plus, I didn’t completely love the salon experience there. While nice and all, it always felt really busy and kind of loud, with someone in the chair right next to you… I also often felt “rushed”. The stylist would always cut someone else’s hair while my color was processing, which is fine, but seemed to add some unnecessary time for ME just sitting there. The whole process always seemed to take for.ever.
Anyway, Ivan has been bugging me for a while to try a new salon. In part, because he wigs out every time the salon credit card charge comes through. And also, because he thinks it’s crazy to pay that much and then sit and complain about my hair cut and/or color.
So I finally poked around on the internet and found a few other local stylist names. I was specifically looking for someone with a bit smaller salon, who might have a slightly smaller operation and hopefully less astronomical prices (but still good at doing hair). On a whim, I made an appointment with a stylist I found who had some good reviews, and I went yesterday.
I’m so excited!! I can’t believe it, but I think I might have found a winner on my first try.
Things I loved about the new salon:
- It is just a “rental” chair, so the woman has her own private little room inside an office building. I LOVED this. Quiet, no other customers, just me and the stylist. (I always felt kind of awkward trying to tell the stylist at the other place what I wanted with some lady sitting next to me listening in, with foils in her hair. Or listening to me and my stylist chit chat…I don’t know. Maybe it’s me, but just always felt awkward.)
- She did a GREAT job! The cut turned out great, she touched up my highlights and fixed a few things I didn’t like from my previous cut. I even liked how she styled it at the end better than the other girl.
- Her prices were way more reasonable than the other place. From the cut to the color and even the toner I have used on my hair (since I lighten my hair- the other place would tack $25 onto the bill for toner!! The new lady only charged $10 for the same thing.)
- It was quicker! Since I was the only customer, I didn’t have to sit and wait for her to finish cutting someone else’s hair. It still takes time to do a cut/ color, but it was definitely a significantly quicker process overall.
- I liked her! She has a son Asher’s age, so we had quite a bit in common, and I just found her easy going and friendly. My latest stylist at the other salon was nice enough, but I honestly didn’t really love her personality. (I feel bad saying that, but it is true. I didn’t really enjoy talking with her! Which is kind of unfortunately part of the package when you get your hair done. So I almost dreaded going, because it felt sort of uncomfortable. (Maybe “dread” is an exaggeration. But I didn’t look forward to it.))
- Because she just has a private chair and not a huge salon, I think it will be easier to get in for appointments. I always had to schedule a million years in advance to get in at the other place. I’m not the best at scheduling out ahead, so I prefer a place I can call and GET IN within a couple weeks, ideally. (I asked her and she said if I have a flexible schedule/ daytime availability, it shouldn’t be a big problem to get in relatively quickly.)
I am grateful that I *think* our house and yard made it through this CRAZY wind storm last night unscathed. We had wind warnings of gusts up to 60 mph and it woke me up a bunch of times last night. I always worry about our trees. We also have solar panels on the back of our roof (for our water heater) and I always worry they will get ripped off in a storm!