I’m in a bit of a bad mood this morning, so this is probably not the BEST BEST time to do this, but I’m going to anyway. (Bad mood mostly based on nothing in particular….I think just kind of irritable with the state of the world/ that covid is still causing such a huge problem everywhere/ that we are all STILL dealing with this TWO FULL YEARS later….).
As I said yesterday, I haven’t actually made a single pen mark in my new planner yet. I haven’t written any “goals” down, either. In large part because I just haven’t had uninterrupted time to devote to this.
I have different thoughts floating around in my head, but it’s always tricky when making goals to balance “keeping it real/attainable” with things we “think we want to do”.
Also maybe in part to my slightly crabby mood right now, or maybe it’s the semi-discombobulated feel of this interim holiday week, but I currently feel like there are just so many areas of my life that could use improvement.
- My nutrition has been meh at best lately. This is an ongoing thing. I don’t eat awful awful, but I eat plenty of non-nutritious foods, too frequently. This one I feel requires a true “lifestyle shift” in order to be long term/attainable.
- Bouncing off that one, I feel like our whole family’s nutrition can use adjusting- especially the kids. Too few veggies, that’s for sure. Too many quick/ random meals that aren’t necessarily “bad”, or even really lacking nutrition necessarily, but I just don’t like the current meal vibe. If that makes sense? This whole month cooking much has sort of gone out the window. Also, “meal planning” has been nonexistent. (That’s been like, an all year problem for me, though.)
- Exercise has been MIA these last few weeks and it makes me feel GROSS. Looking at my records, I exercised a couple times the week of Dec. 10th, and since then- ZERO TIMES. This is not me. I hate it. I do not feel like myself, but I made a semi-conscious decision to let it go temporarily due to the swim meet stress/ holiday stuff. I haven’t even been walking. I just feel blah and yucky and kind of bloated and disgusting, to be honest.
- In general, I have felt frustrated this past year with my “lack of follow through” on certain things. As you know, I identify as an Upholder. It’s in my DNA to do what I said I’m going to do. When I don’t, it feels….very, very bad (to me). I think 2021 has been a weird and difficult year for many of us- almost more so than 2020, in some ways?? But still. I’m not satisfied with this sort of lackadaisical approach to things… It makes me feel very “off” and this not my preferred way to live. I am not sure exactly what the issue is, or what to do about it. (Again, just brainstorming here.) I just know that prior to 2020, even during the hard stage when the boys were little, I feel I exhibited a lot more grit/ determination/ drive in many ways than I have lately. It’s like I currently have this constant underlying feeling of just not quite being able to “get my act together”.
- Definitely still like the idea of including goals to walk outside often- this makes me feel very good.
- Reading goals are fun too, though probably not an exact number of books. I don’t want reading to stress me out. I do like the idea of working from a Book List though (I can transfer some from my 2021 “to read” list that I haven’t read yet, so that’s easy at least….lol….). I also had the thought to read some literature in Spanish this year to keep that skill up/ improve.
- Family-wise, I feel we need to re-look at our technology policy. We don’t really have one exactly, at the moment. It kind of ebbs and flows, but it feels too loosey goosey and I don’t think it’s working the best. I think some discussion + firmer guidelines will make it better for everyone to agree together, and then KNOW what to expect.
- My phone use/ social media is always one to consider for goals, too. Not sure what I want to do or change, if anything…I don’t feel 100% happy with my current/ semi-constant use of my phone though. Not sure if I want to do like time-limit per day? (I’ve tried this before, haven’t successfully implemented long term change, though). X number of checks per week or day? Delete things from phone? Get rid of my phone and move off the grid? (joking…) I don’t know. (brainstorming…..)
Okay, that’s enough for now. I feel like I could keep going and going but I feel like I am in a self-critiquing mood. HA. So, I should probably step away from the keyboard. 🙂
How are your goals coming, if you make any? I’d ask for some ideas, but I guess I’m covered…. 😉
I am grateful for gratitude! Cheesiest answer yet, but it’s true- I’m grateful that I started doing this. Keeping track of things to be grateful for over the last few years has been a really, really great practice.