We’re almost a 2 solid weeks in to summer break now. Inevitably, I feel like we always go through a slightly bumpy transition period when we shift from school to break or back again.
Maybe this is my “fault”, for lack of planning or foresight…I’m not sure. I mean, we never really sat down and sketched out summer “rules” or schedules or anything like that for the kids. It was more of a, “Oh, huh! Look at that, it’s summer now. How about that? Carry on…” 🤷♀️
Anyway, I think we’re finally settling into a bit of a rhythm, after a moderately ugly first week.
Our (very loose) schedule has become:
- Kids wake up anywhere between ~6:30-8. (Asher has still been working out with his uncle in the mornings, so he’s been getting up early.)
- If up early-ish, read or do something until “video game time with friends” starts (Ethan usually has this coordinated- often from maybe 8-9 am). We’ve been letting them play for about ~1 hour (1 1/2 hours max) in the morning.
- Beds made/ rooms picked up by 10 at the latest.
- Somewhere between 9-11 am I have been taking a break to do something with them for about an hour. Last week we did the walk to McDonald’s for breakfast, sometimes just a walk around the neighborhood, and yesterday we went to the library. Hoping to maybe go hit some tennis balls, go for some bike rides, etc. Just “something” together for a little while.
- After that- I go back to work and the kids generally do their “stuff”. Practice piano, do their workbooks pages, read/play something (NOT a screen), etc.
- After lunch, it depends on the day, but I am pretty hands off all afternoon and just WORK mostly. They know not to expect much from me during those hours. Ethan has been biking to his friends’ houses most days. Sometimes they have piano lessons, or Asher has a virtual band lesson. Yesterday Asher went strawberry picking with a friend and his mom!
Evenings so far have just been loose, again, depending on the day. Asher swims every night Monday- Thursday, and Ethan has had the soccer tryouts this week. Usually they have some more screen time for a while in the late afternoon or evening at some point (with friends).
The library trip was Asher’s 1st time back! They got SO MANY books!!!
How’s your summer schedule looking? As much as I say I like routines, in general, we are pretty loosey goosey on things like schedules, meal times, etc. in our house. This little “schedule” has just kind of evolved pretty naturally.
I am grateful for Webex meetings, so I don’t have to go in to the office today for several meetings that are on the docket! 😉