I hinted at this in my post the other day, but I should probably address this fully.
So, school. Just another one of the 1,000,000 hot topics of the year that gives people another thing to fight and disagree about. This one really gets me riled up personally, so I’m going to try to keep this brief (spoiler: I don’t).
Quick backstory of our local situation:
Earlier this summer, on July 20, our public school district announced they would be returning virtually this fall “at least through the first quarter” (which here runs from Sept. 8- November 2). This was voted on by the School Board, applied to all public schools in the district and from my understanding, was based on the inability to safely open all schools while preventing the spread of COVID (we have a good sized district with something like 16 total schools and a huge high school).
My boys attend a smaller, private, Catholic school in town. All summer, our school’s principal had been in touch with us, reporting that they were working diligently (and in constant communication with public health deparments) to put together a full, comprehensive plan to allow kids to return to school in person that would meet or exceed all local health guidelines regarding COVID.
A few weeks ago we received the full 5 page “Opening Plan”, which I thought was great. To name just a few, it included things like:
- breaking the grade levels up into smaller classes or “hives”, with <15 per group (per guidelines). This means the kids would only be with these same 15 kids everyday. They also spent hours putting these groups together, ensuring neighbors/friends who already see each other anyway or carpool were together to minimize additional interactions.
- social distancing in all settings
- modified arrival/ dismissal schedules to ensure social distancing is possible at all times
- masks required at all times
- changes to lunch (only with their “hive”), no water fountains, birthday treats, etc.
- no shared supplies
- professional cleaning/disinfecting service daily each evening
- option for virtual school for anyone not wanting in person